Thursday, May 1, 2008

some red shoes and other red/grey things

Usually-- my outfits can be summed up in a phrase, because I am dressed as something- spring, a scientist, a flapper- it is a definable costume. not today.

This is le hodge-podge. It is partially inspired by dora in this qc comic, but only partially.

I would like to talk about glasses frames. They are part of the outfit. They are not my own. Two people (both boys, actually, so I'm surprised I don't care more) have mentioned they think that wearing frames when your eyesight is in perfect working order is pretentious. To them (and anybody else who happens to agree) I say- um.. nonsense! Accessorizing your face is not any more pretentious than accessorizing your neck with jewelry/scarves or accessorizing your face with make-up. Just less people do it. But that's not a good reason not to wear something.

The necklace, which makes me happy, I got thrifting last night. It has an immense wooden elephant on it. Also a hybrid lion-wolf. They are red. Here are two of my deepest-held clothing philosophies: 1- If it has animals on it, it is drastically increased in awesomeness. 2- In the words of a wonderfully dressed girl (emily of some girls wander) "red is my neutral".

In this picture I am also wearing my heinously small red shoes. I have yet to wear them out because they pinch my toes, and I feel like my feet are being mugged after about ten minutes. If I'm ever going somewhere where I get dropped off at the door, sit down for a few hours, and then get picked up again, at the door, I will wear them. Because.. um.. 'round here, we do love red shoes.

Also, I have never dressed up as spring and only the 'knickers over tights' thing (and I guess the red-and-black thing) is inspired by a webcomic. I would feel weird dressed as a webcomic character.

-Janie

P.S. I apologize for small pictures with poor lighting. Sometimes you are a girl who lives in a basement with a borrowed and not particularly amazing camera. So, the lighting is bad. The pictures are fuzzy. They can be nicely clicked bigger though...

2 comments:

Liza Cain said...

if i were to go by your definition of mugging, the average mugger grabs their victim and hugs them in a vice until they faint from the pressure on their lungs/various other scientific reasons. Then they rob them of their milk money. I don't know why I thought a lot of people mugged with their extremities, ie. feet, arms, legs, ..heads..

Hannah Strauss said...

my red shoes are also about three sizes too small. i almost wore them today but then i thought... school... no.