Sunday, June 1, 2008

thriftie outfit + prettiest shoes

thrifties of love: vintage slip, little indian shoes on a brooch/pin, orange and dark teal scarflet. my parents think wearing a slip showing is the ultime of faux pas, so now i'm all second guessing myself, however i think it's kind of sweet to have a bit of lace showing under your skirt?

anyways, all things aside, these shoes are the delight of my soul. they are sweet worn purplish-brown leather and for once (and this is marvelous when they're thrifted shoes) they actually fit me perfectly. they are pretty scuffed, and though i kind of like that, my parents think it is the second greatest faux pas to wear unshined shoes, so i must hie me to the mall and fetch some brown shoe polish soon, and then i will flash about the world in the prettiest shoes of all. so.. there.

8 comments:

Liza Cain said...

we have an outlet of shoe polish. shoe-care is deeply rooted in my generation, from my father to his father to probably his father's father (an interesting story: during the depression, my father's father's father told his family that they would buy no more 'tissue de toilet' and would hens fourth use my father's father's mother's used clothing patterns. that worked fine until one time they heard a bellowing "OUCH!" from the washroom and my great grandfather cried, "You forgot to take on the pins!!!" ...wrothfully.) but that aside, we have tons of shoe care stuff, we're in du bidness, basically.

Liza Cain said...

all this to say, be dutch: do not buy: steal rather.

Hannah Strauss said...

my mother is of a similar mind to your parents. i think it's fine as long as it's obviously, a bit of lace, and not a slip. ? i'm trying to make a dress out of my grandmother's old nightgown, and i'm kind of worried about what my mother is going to say.

Anonymous said...

Unrelated: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/missconduct/2008/05/silly_fashion_q.html

Anonymous said...

Meh. Again: silly fashion question.

Anonymous said...

ah, but you didn't mention where the dress itself came from. i like it; where'd you get it?

Janie Kamenar said...

the dress is my sister's; and i will definitely steal shoe polish from you, liza my love.

Awake My Glory said...

I always forget to check this blog, and then come back after ages of absence to discover something that makes me happy (which is the real goal of this blog, unbeknownst to you). I love all these little surreptitious treasures and auspicious finds!

Oh, and I like the lace. And since I am, obviously, a towering paragon of fashion, you should listen to me. Erm, right.

Also! I bought braces today! I had an extremely successful thrifting expedition (all by myself, sadly, but that's another story altogether) and was reunited with pants, a blazer, heaps of awesome shirts, and two pairs of fabulous shoes that have been looking for me for years and years.

One pair of shoes is brown and the other is this awesome light blue. They almost look sea-green, but not quite, and I adore them already.